Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I have never been the kind of girl that knew the style of dress I wanted for my wedding, I never had a particular venue in mind, infact I always thought i'd fly away to a paradise island and get married just me and him in the sunshine.

However, my other half is very family orientated and wanted to have all our friends and family with us...so I had a challenge ahead. All I knew is that I didn't want a traditional style wedding, so my search for ideas began.

Wednesday, 16 March 2011

DIY Candy Buffets





It's been a while since I've posted, I've been so busy and had last weekend away in Dublin. It was nice to have a weekend break away.

Now I'm back, my next wedding task is get the Candy Buffet sorted.

I have my sweet bags, I chose simple white and pink striped bags, but there are so many different kinds out there to choose from. I got mine off eBay, in packs of 100, and I ordered extra as I presented my invitations in them to tie the whole theme together.

My invites say ' Love is Sweet ' on them, and I have found the perfect sweet bag stickers to use as a little extra special addition to add on the sweet bags...They are on eBay and can be personalised.



Amazon do some small sweet scoops that are perfect for a candy buffet.


I also need to get searching for interesting jars, vases and bowls to hold the sweets. I want varied shapes and sizes, I will have a few little jars of 1950's sweets that I know the older guests will enjoy, then I will fill larger jars with the bright coloured sweets such as jelly beans, dolly mixtures and big bowls of marshmallows and flying saucers would be amazing. I want to cater for all my guests, so a good variety will keep everyone happy.

A few ideas for sweets are:

  • Bon Bons
  • Jelly Beans
  • Marshmallows
  • Haribo gummy hearts
  • Love hearts
  • Dolly Mixtures
  • Gummy cherries
  • Flying saucers
  • Rosy Apples
  • Lemon Sherbets
  • Rhubarb and Custard
  • Pear Drops
  • Strawberry laces
  • Peanut Brittle
  • Kola Cubes
  • Lollies
  • Smarties
  • Skittles
  • Fried eggs
  • Cola Bottles
  • Milk Bottles
  • Aniseed Balls
My buffet will also include cake stands full up with yummy flavoured cupcakes being made by my brilliant sister-in-law to be. I've made some little flags on cocktail sticks to dot around with the different flavours written on, and I will make some tags to tie around the jars labelling what the sweets are. Stickers or mini name card style labels would also work. It means everybody knows exactly what is on offer and you can use the labels to continue your theme through to the buffet table.

When buying the sweets, it depends on how many guests you have attending, as I have quite a lot of guests coming I will buy most of the sweets in bulk from a wholesalers.

I think the most stressful part will be laying out the table in the venue, making sure it looks good and not just thrown together. Luckily I have a creative family with a good eye for design, and the event organiser at my venue is also very good, so I'm sure they will all help me put it together perfectly. Here are a few examples:







If you don't fancy a candy buffet, you could have a popcorn buffet:






Or a desert buffet:









Or even a cheese buffet (although it may be a little smelly):




3 comments:

  1. What a fab post! Soooooo inspirational!!! We're going to do a Sweetie Bar and this is the best post I've seen on it, ta muchly xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you. There's so many sweets, i'm finding it hard to choose which ones to have haha...can't wait to see your wedding pics, our weddings sound sound similar haha. Not long now..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic. Thanks for sharing your ideas, its not just entertaining but also gives your reader knowledge. Good blogs style too, Cheers!

    - The wedding candy buffets ma

    ReplyDelete